Hump Day Poetry is a weekly poetry blog-share every *Wednesday*
Here’s how you can join in
1. Write a poem (any type of poetry, even for other challenges) You have from Wednesday to the following Tuesday to link up!
2. Grab the badge and display it on your blog to show your support.
3. Link it to my poem of the week with a pingback or by leaving the link to your poem in comments.
4. Visit other bloggers’ poetry for that week. Like, leave a comment, and share! (Please try to visit as many other poets as possible. Keep the community love flowing!)
Note: to create a pingback, simply include the url of this post somewhere in your post. Please check my page to ensure your pingback has posted. If not, it is either awaiting moderation, or the pingback failed (happens sometimes!). To ensure your post is seen, you may want to just add the link to my page. I would rather have duplicates than not get to read your poetry!
Click HERE for further information.
And now for my poem of the week….
Seasons of Friendship
~for Lisa D.
Once I lingered here
with the sun on our faces
the fields ripe with flowers
and you dancing in the breeze
but my time was so limited
and my memories faded
with the fallen sun
Once I found you there
full of youth and charm
dancing on the beach
with sand in your hair
and salt upon your lips
but I melted in the heat
and left you all alone
Now in our waning years
here I am, leaves surround me
scent of decay invigorates me
I have come into my own
but you are still out there
chasing sunbeams and waves
unable to settle down
Soon, my dearest friend
we’ll have no choice
chilled bones, frosted faces
the acceptance of our fate
will you renounce youth then
and sit with me a spell
until the world fades?
©2016 Lori Carlson. All Rights Reserved.
Happenings in the World of Poetry
Each week I will list 5 poetry (and fiction!) bloggers who I follow and enjoy their work. I hope you will take a few moments to check out their blogs. Here is this week’s offerings:
- Paper Plane Pilots is an amazing group of poets and fiction writers. They also host a free literary magazine and are currently accepting submissions for issue eight of In-flight Literary Magazine. The deadline to submit is June 1st.
- At the NPM Daily blog, you’ll find a new interview with a poet each day during April.
- The WaterSedge Poetry Chapbook contest is hosted by Writer’s Relief, Inc. The chapbook contest runs to May 25, 2016. The winning poet will receive a $500 cash prize; publication of the poetry chapbook in both print and e-book formats; Amazon distribution for Kindle and print; and 25 free print copies. The contest is limited to poetry chapbooks 24 – 48 pages in length, and the entry fee is $20. Click the link above for complete contest submission guidelines.
Are you looking for weekly poetry (and sometimes fiction) challenges? Never fear! Check out the following:
- Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie
- RonovanWrite’s Haiku Prompt Challenge
- Haiku Horizons
- The Writing Reader
- Bastet’s Monday Haiga Challenge
If you know of other happenings in the world of poetry or blogs that host poetry challenges, let me know in comments and I will include them in next week’s Happenings!